This weekend my boyfriends god-daughter came up to visit and since he worked until 7AM Saturday night, it was just me and Mary Sunday morning. After convincing her to help me with get the chores around the house done, I broke out something I thought would be fun. We made instant hot chocolate mix and chocolate covered peppermint sticks.
The hot chocolate was pretty easy and went pretty fast, I made this when I was in the Girl Scouts years ago.
- 4 Cups of dry milk powder
- 1 Cup of Hershey’s Unsweetened Cocoa
- 1 and 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 and 1/4 cup of chocolate chips
- a dash of salt
- Add everything together into a bowl and stir. : )
Note: Go ahead and spend the extra few dollars to get the good dry milk. I bought the Wal-Mart brand and it was terrible! It didn’t dissolve so there were milk flakes floating around….It resulted in another trip to the store.
When it’s all said and done, we used about 1/2 cup of mix for each cup of hot chocolate. It was quite yummy.
After we taste tested the hot chocolate we put it in little snow men bags to give to the guys at work at the office Christmas Party. Then we started working on the chocolate covered peppermint sticks.
Pretty Peppermint Sticks (Click here for Original Recipe)
- 1 cup dark or milk chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 15 (4-inch) soft or hard peppermint sticks (We used candy canes)
- White nonpareils (We used white sugar pearls)
- In a small bowl, microwave the chocolate chips and oil for 1 minute, then continue in 10 second bursts, stirring between heating. When most, but not all, of the chips have melted, stir the chocolate until it is smooth.
- Spread the nonpareils (sprinkles) on a sheet of waxed paper. Dip one end of each peppermint stick into the chocolate, then roll it in the nonpareils. Set the sticks on another sheet of waxed paper until the chocolate has set, about 1 hour.
After we finished the big candy canes, we still had extra chocolate so we made some more with mini-candy canes. When they were totally dry we wrapped them in plastic wrap and tied ribbon around the ends. It came out quite cute.
All in all it was fun and they tasted yummy and since we made a bunch we both have a treat to give out at Christmas parties.